Needs for ‘Recording’ by Companies
“When”, “Who”, “What”… Recording them is very important for a company.
- To measure the success (target management, personnel evaluation)
- To share knowledge (knowledge management, competency)
- To improve operations (productivity, risk management, business continuity)
The need for operation recording is not new to a company. Looking back a decade, even a century, we can say that we have continued seeking for the appropriate amount of recordings to keep the balance between the ‘cost for recording’ and the ‘worth of the records’.
But today, demands for “More detailed operation record” are growing for following two major points of view
- Technical Innovation on Personal Digital Assistant devices such as smartphones
- Growth of visualization needs for purposes such as “Internal Control”
Easy Recording Even of ‘GPS Information’
Nowadays, it is not uncommon for a single person to use multiple information devices such as smartphones, tablets and laptops.
In particular, Android based phones, iPhone and other smartphones are not only for displaying information, but could also be used to record “still pictures”, “video” or “GPS location”, which make them Highly Practical Information Devices.
Traditional Information Security Policy of a company that simply “prohibits taking information devices outside of company” is out of fashion. We are in an era where we must engage in “using the the company’s system from outside” and in the “business use of private devices” under some sort of policy.
Importance of “Company Compliance”
During the paper work processing (the so called “Stamp flow”), route mistakes and lost documents are common. Furthermore, when using paper documents for decision agreements, it might happen that some people dishonestly tamper with ‘dates’ for their own convenience to comply with their business regulations.
- Purchase Decision: Who proposed, who settled? When?
- Complaint Support: Who responded primary, or secondary? When was the case closed?
- Investor Relation submission: Who created? Checked by whom? When finally submitted?
- Legal Confirmation of the Contract Documents: Who confirmed contents? Who conducted negotiations? Who gave the approval? And when?
“The events in the company” should be recorded precisely and automatically, by computer. That means breaking away from “environment with tampering and frauds”.
“Precise Operational Data” Comes from “Management of Business Process”
- a.Operational Data that can be recorded
- b.Operational Data that should be recorded
- c.Operational Data that must be recorded
There are varieties of types of operational record. In which perspective should a company design its information system?
- Information system that focused on “Data finally recorded”
- Information system that focused on “Business process procedure (flow) and the person in charge for it”
Comparing the above two, 2 is far more cumbersome. For example, it is not enough to record “the decision on the proposal” only, but “who was the originator and when the during approval was given?” need to be recorded as well. Likewise, it is not enough saving “Complaint sentence and respondents to it”, there is also the need to record “who made the primary response and where stacks were?”
At Questetra, we suggest you to keep on managing Business processes.
Certainly, it is not easy to manage business processes.
Especially, when the first time engaging in Business Process management, there are obstacles to overcome, such as 1. To verify the current workflow, 2. To draw a chart of how an operation should flow (Workflow chart), 3. To determine a person in charge of the process (allocation rule), 4. To think of the necessary inputs and outputs of each process, 5. To record each process.
From a medium term perspective, however, the maintenance of these business processes and business rules is the only activity that leads to major improvements. Figuratively speaking,
- “Roads” with “pavement” can only provide smooth traffic
- “Flow” to “monitor” only when having this, an improvement plan of the road network can be outlined
To flow operations on default Workflow and to record them automatically is the only when “improvement” can be possible. That means that it is possible to sublimate the business process itself to the source of “Competitiveness”.